- Bridge Ward Within
- One of the twenty-six wards of the City, known as Bridge Ward Within, in contradistinction to Southwark, which is known as Bridge Ward Without.Bridge Ward Within extends along the river front from Billingsgate Ward east to Dowgate Ward west, and is so named as containing London Bridge, the first and for many-years the only bridge across the river within the City boundary.In 1375 it was claimed that the ward extended as far as the gutter near "le Stulpes" at the further end of London Bridge, and that the property was liable to lot and scot of the City. But this claim was disputed in favour of the Borough of Southwark, and it was alleged that it had only been appropriated to the City within the last ten years (Cal. L. Bk. H. p. 93). Nevertheless the claim was maintained in Stow's time, although the boundary now seems to be about the middle of the river.Earliest mention: "Ward of Bridge," 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 209).Also called : "Bruggestreteward," 4 H. V. 1416 (Cal. P.R. H. V. 1416-22, p. 30). "Ward of John Horn," mentioned 1275, is identified with Bridge Ward (Riley's Mem. 3).Contained four parish churches in Stow's time : St. Magnus ; St. Margaret, Fish Street Hill ; St. Leonard, Eastcheap ; St. Benet, Gracechurch.Now only St. Magnus, the Martyr.See Wards.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.