Bull Wharf
   South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 66, on the Thames, between Queenhithe Wharf and Kennet Wharf (P.O. Directory).
   First mention: Leake, 1666.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Bull Wharf Lane —    South out of Upper Thames at No. 66, leading to Bull Wharf (P.O. Directory). In Queenhithe Ward.    First mention: Lond. Guide, 1758.    Former name : Townes End Lane (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

  • Red Bull Wharf —    South out of Upper Thames Street at No.93, west of Angel Passage (P.O. Directory). In Dowgate Ward.    First mention: Horwood, 1799.    Former name: Angel Alley (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    Both the names suggest that they were derived… …   Dictionary of London

  • bull — I. /bʊl / (say bool) noun 1. an adult male of the domestic cow, with sexual organs intact and capable of reproduction. 2. an adult male of any bovine animal, especially of the genus Bos. 3. the male of various other large animals, as the elephant …   Australian English dictionary

  • Red Bull Yard —    South out of Upper Thames Street at No.89, west of Red Bull Wharf (P.O. Directory). In Dowgate Ward.    First mention: O.S. 1848 51.    Former name : Red Bull Alley (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799) …   Dictionary of London

  • Civil parishes in Cheshire — A map of Cheshire, showing the Boroughs : (1) Cheshire West and Chester; (2) Cheshire East; (3) Warrington; and (4) Halton. A civil parish is a subnational entity, forming the lowest unit of local government in England. There are 332 civil… …   Wikipedia

  • Angel Passage —    , South out of Upper Thames Street at No.95, adjoining Dyers Hall and leading to Dyers Hall Wharf (P.O. Directory). In Dowgate Ward.    First mention: Lockie, 1810.    Former names : Angel Alley, Horwood, 1799. White Cock Alley (O. and M. 1677 …   Dictionary of London

  • Shepherd's Alley —    1) West out of Old Bailey, in Farringdon Ward Without, south of Ship Court (O. and M. 1677).    Site now occupied by business houses.    2) South out of Upper Thames Street to Bull Wharf. In Vintry Ward (Elmes, 1831).    First mention: 1543 (L …   Dictionary of London

  • Townesend Lane —    South out of Thames Street to the Thames (Lond. Guide, 1758). In Queenhithe Ward.    First mention: Townesende lane, 4 Eliz. (Cal. L. and M. Ft. of Fines, II. 118).    Richard Townsende owned a messuage and wharf in the parish of St. Michael… …   Dictionary of London

  • Angel Alley —    1) West out of Bishopsgate in Bishopsgate Ward Without between Nos. 137 and 138 (O. and M. 1677 to O.S. 1880). During the 17th and 18th centuries and part of the 19th century the street extended from Long Alley to Bishopsgate Street Without,… …   Dictionary of London

  • Deptford — For other uses, see Deptford (disambiguation). Coordinates: 51°28′41″N 0°01′35″W / 51.4780°N 0.0265°W / 51.4780; 0.0265 …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”