Butcher Row, East Smithfield
   South-east from Upper East Smithfield to Lower East Smithfield (Lockie's Topog. 1810-Elmes' Topog. Dict. 1831).
   Earliest mention: Hatton, 1708.
   Site covered by the St. Katherine's Docks and adjacent warehouses 1827.
   Possibly the street was originally occupied by the "foreign" butchers, who did not possess the freedom of the City and derived its name from this circumstance.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Helmet Court, East Smithfield —    A small court west out of Butcher Row, at No. 31, by Helmet Steps (Hatton, 1708 Lockie, 1810).    In Strype, ed. 1720, Vol. 1, p. 64, the street is more extensive, running from St. Katherine s lane to Butcher Row, being the one called Great… …   Dictionary of London

  • Swan Street, Upper East Smithfield —    North east from Butcher Row to East Smithfield at No.102, with a branch to Nightingale Lane (Lockie, 1810).    Former names: Swann alley, 1641 (Ct. H.W. IT. p.760). Swan alley (W. Stow, 1722 Horwood, 1799).    Removed for the erection of St.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Lower East Smithfield —    West from Little Thames Street to the Hermitage Swing Bridge and Basin (P.O. Directory).    In the eighteenth century the street of this name ran south from Butcher Row (Hatton, 1708) and during the second half of the century at any rate… …   Dictionary of London

  • Red Cross Street, East Smithfield —    North east out of Butcher Row to Nightingale Lane (Hatton, 1708 Lockie, 1810).    Removed for the formation of St. Katherine s Docks and the adjacent warehouses 1827 …   Dictionary of London

  • The Highway — The Highway, formerly known as the Ratcliffe Highway, is a mile long road in the East End of London, with several historic landmarks nearby. The route dates back to Roman times. In the 19th century it had a very notorious reputation for vice and… …   Wikipedia

  • Dark Entry —    1) East out of Lower East Smithfield, facing Butcher Row (P.C. 1732, to Elmes, 1831).    Called also Virginia Court (Strype, ed. 1720 to Boyle, 1799).    Removed for the erection of St. Katherine Docks and the adjacent warehouses in 1827.… …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Katherine's Precinct —    This precinct included the site of the hospital of St. Katherine and its adjacent domains. It consisted of about 24 acres, granted to the Hospital from the date of its foundation, and it owed its existence to the survival of the privileges… …   Dictionary of London

  • Mount's Gateway —    In Butcher Row, Upper East Smithfield, leading to Great Garden Street (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).    Not named in the maps …   Dictionary of London

  • Phoenix Court —    1) West out of Butcher Row at No.38. In St. Katherine s precinct (Rocque, 1746 Lockie, 1810).    Removed for the formation of St. Katherine s Docks and the adjacent warehouses in 1827.    Name derived from the sign.    2) East out of Old… …   Dictionary of London

  • United Kingdom — a kingdom in NW Europe, consisting of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: formerly comprising Great Britain and Ireland 1801 1922. 58,610,182; 94,242 sq. mi. (244,100 sq. km). Cap.: London. Abbr.: U.K. Official name, United Kingdom of Great… …   Universalium

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”