- Camomile Street
- East out of Bishopsgate at 104 (P.O. Directory). From Wormwood Street west to Bevis Marks east. In Aldgate, Lime Street and Bishopsgate Wards (O.S.).First mention: "Camamile Street" (O. and M. 1677).The houses on the north side are on the site of the old Wall of London, and in excavations made for the foundations of warehouses in the street, a bastion and other portions of the wall have been found, partly of Roman construction. Described in Antiquary, X. 134 ; Journal, Br. Arch. Assoc. XXXII. 389 ; Price, pp. 5, 16.Some portion at least of the street seems to have been known as Bevis Marks in early days.See Bevis Marks.A tablet on the house at the north-east corner of the street marks the former site of Bishopsgate.There is no indication as to the origin of the name, and the street seems to have been unnamed in Stow's time. It suggests that the land immediately within the wall was waste and unbuilt on, and was covered with that hardy herb, which springs up so readily on all unoccupied land to this day, or it may possibly have been named after an owner or builder.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.