Campion Lane
   South out of Upper Thames Street, at No. 89, to the Thames, by the east end of the church of All Hallows the Great (Elmes, 1831).
   First mention: W. Stow, 1722.
   Former name : "Haywharf Lane" (q.v.).
   Site now occupied by the City of London Brewery, and the entrance to it.
   The Brewhouse was originally built in Haywharfe lane in Stow's time (S. 237), and was in the possession first of Henrie Campion and then of his son Abraham.
   Henry Campion gave a rent-charge on houses in this lane to the parish of All Hallows Barking (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 36).
   In the Endowed Charities Report, 1829, p. 137, the gift is recorded as made to the parish of Allhallows the Great, which seems much more probable, and the statement must be an error on the part of Strype.
   The name of the lane was changed to commemorate the family ownership.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Haywharf Lane —    South out of Thames Street to the Haywharf on the Thames, on the east side of All Hallows the Great (S. 237, and O. and M. 1677). In Dowgate Ward.    Earliest mention: the lane del Heywarf, 19 Hen. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 1791).    Other forms :… …   Dictionary of London

  • St Edmund Campion Catholic School — Infobox UK school name = St Edmund Campion Catholic School size = latitude = longitude = dms = motto = motto pl = established = September 1975 approx = closed = c approx = type = Comprehensive voluntary aided school religion = Roman Catholic… …   Wikipedia

  • City of London Brewery —    On the south side of Cannon Street at No. 89 (P.O. Directory).    There seems to have been a brewhouse on this site from Stow s time. He says it was originally built by one Pot, and afterwards belonged to Henry Campion, and his son Abraham.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Haywharf —    A wharf on the Thames so called at the south end of Haywharf Lane, now Campion Lane, in Dowgate Ward.    Earliest mention: 19 H. III. del Heywarf (Anc. Deeds, A. 1791).    Other forms : La Heywarwe, 1296 (Ct. H.W. I. 128). le Heghwharf, 1331 2 …   Dictionary of London

  • Double Hood Court —    North out of Upper Thames Street by Campion Lane in Dowgate Ward (Boyle, 1799).    First mention: O. and M. 1677.    Called Doublehand Court (Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755).    Site now occupied by Cannon Street Station …   Dictionary of London

  • New Zealand, Derby — This article is about the suburb of Derby. For other uses, see New Zealand (disambiguation). Cobden Street in New Zealand The New Zealand Suburb/Area of Derby is situated about 1 mile from Derby City Centre. The suburb is surrounded by the… …   Wikipedia

  • Saint Joseph's University — Infobox University name = Saint Joseph s University motto = Spirit, Intellect, Purpose established=September 15 1851 type = Private president= Timothy R. Lannon, S.J. provost= Dr. Brice R. Wachterhauser affiliation = Roman Catholic (Jesuit) city …   Wikipedia

  • literature — /lit euhr euh cheuhr, choor , li treuh /, n. 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays. 2.… …   Universalium

  • performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical.       The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains …   Universalium

  • Swallow, Lincolnshire — Swallow is a small village in Lincolnshire, on the A46 road just northeast of Caistor. The village has a small war memorial. History The name Swallow has been variously written as Sualan ( Domesday Book ), Suawa, Swalwe and Swalewe (all twelfth… …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”