- Candlewick Ward
- One of the twenty-six wards of London, adjoining Bridge Ward south and east, Langbourn Ward north, Walbrook Ward west, and Dowgate Ward west and south.Generally called "Candelwykstrete" Ward in early times (13th to 16th centuries).Earliest mention: Ward of "Candlewystrate," c. 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 209).Named after the street, which intersected it from east to west.See Wards.Identified with the ward of Thomas de Basinge mentioned 1275 (Cal. L. Bk. B. p. 256).Parish churches, five in Stow's time : St. Clement, Eastcheap ; St. Lawrence Pountney, St. Martin Orgar ; St. Michael, Crooked Lane ; and St. Mary Abchurch. Now St. Mary Abchurch and St. Clement Eastcheap alone remain.The ward underwent very considerable changes in the early part of the 19th century owing to the erection of the new London Bridge and the subsequent formation and erection of King William Street and the other approaches to the new bridge under the Act of Parliament, passed 1829 for the purpose. Numerous streets and buildings, including the church of St. Michael, Crooked Lane, were demolished under this Act.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.