- Cannon Street Station
- On the south side of Cannon Street at Dowgate Hill, extending south to the Thames (P.O. Directory), which is traversed by the railway bridge of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Co. In Dowgate Ward.Erected 1865-6 as the City terminus of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway.It occupies the entire site of the ancient Steelyard (q.v.), and numerous streets and lanes were demolished for the erection of the station, and the formation of the railway lines and the approaches : "Chequer Yard," "Hand Court," southern end of Bush Lane ; "Plumbers' Hall," "Wingoose Alley," "Turnwheel Lane," the western side of All Hallows Lane ; "Double Hood Court," "Steelyard Stairs and Court."Roman remains have been found here at a depth of 9 feet, and Roman pavements extending to Cannon Street and Bush Lane.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.