- Capel Court
- East out of Bartholomew Lane at No. 2, in Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).First mention: Horwood, 1799.Former names : "Ship Court" (O. and M. 1677-Hatton, 1708). "Ship Yard" (P.C. 1732-Lond. Guide, 1758). "Black Swan Yard, formerly Ship Yard" (Maitland, ed. 1775, II. 840).Derivation of name : From Capel family.Sir Wm. Capel, draper, was Mayor of London 1503.In 1523, 15 H. VIII., in a wardmote inquest in Broad Street Ward, mention is made of a defective pavement before Sir Gylys Capell's house in the parish of St. Bartholomew (L. and P. H. VIII. III. Pt. 2, p. 1515).This house stood on the site of the Stock Exchange at the end of Capel Court.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.