Castle Baynard Dock

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Baynard's Castle Wharf —    South out of Thames Street at Baynard s Castle, in Castle Baynard Ward (W. Stow, 1722). In the parish of St. Andrew Wardrobe and St. Bennetts, Paul s Wharf, part of and belonging to a place called Baynard s Castle, containing on the north side …   Dictionary of London

  • Puddle Dock —    South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 1 at the southern end of St. Andrew s Hill (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.    First mention: Leake, 1666.    Former name : Puddle Wharf, temp. Eliz. (Proc. in Chanc. II. 242).    Stow says it… …   Dictionary of London

  • Montfichet's Tower — Not to be confused with Mountfitchet s Castle in Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex. Montfichet s Tower Part of the Fortifications of London Ludgate Hill, London …   Wikipedia

  • London —     London     † Catholic Encyclopedia ► London     London, the capital of England and chief city of the British Empire, is situated about fifty miles from the mouth of the Thames, Lat. 51°30 , Long. 0°5 . The word London is used in widely… …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Queenhithe — …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Coalman's Alley —    South out of Puddle Dock Hill to the Thames, west of Puddle Dock. In Castle Baynard Ward (Rocque, 1746 Boyle, 1799).    On or near the site of Victoria Wharf (q.v.).    See Lime Wharf …   Dictionary of London

  • Thames Street —    Extended from Tower Hill to Puddle Dock, in Tower, Billingsgate, Bridge Within, Dowgate, Vintry, Queenhithe and Castle Baynard Wards.    Now divided into Lower and Upper Thames Street (q.v.).    Earliest mention the street of the Thames by… …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Andrew's Hill —    South out of Carter Lane at No.59 to 148 Queen Victoria Street (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward and Farringdon Ward Within.    First mention: Leake, 1666.    Other name : Puddle Dock Hill (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    Renamed after… …   Dictionary of London

  • Black Friars —    A house of Dominican Friars near Ludgate on the site known later as the precinct of Blackfriars.    Founded in 1221, by Hubert de Burgh, who gave the Friars land in Holborn for their house. Gift confirmed to the Canons of the Preaching Friars… …   Dictionary of London

  • Duke Humfrey's —    West out of Puddle Dock Hill to Charles Street. In Castle Baynard Ward and Farringdon Ward Within (O. and M. 1677 Strype, 1755).    See Bristow Street.    So called as forming part of the estate of Duke Humfrey of Gloucester, 1455 (Rolls of… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”