- Catherine Wheel Yard
- 1) South out of London Wall, east of Basinghall Street (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799). In Cripplegate Ward Within.Named after the Katherine Wheel Inn there, shown in Strype, 1720-55.Site now covered by offices and business houses.2) On the north side of Rosemary Lane, and west of Little Tower Hill (Hatton, 1708).Not named in the maps.3) North out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).First mention: "Katherine Wheel Yard" (O. and M. 1677).On the north side of the sheep pens (Hatton, 1708).Named after the inn there.The site is now covered by Smithfield Market.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.