- Church Alley
- 1) See St. Dunstan's Alley.2) West out of Basinghall Street at No. 70, leading to Three Nun Court (P.O. Directory). In Bassishaw Ward.First mention: Strype, ed. 172O.Former name : "Bassishaw Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Hatton, 1708).In some of the maps of the 18th century, as Rocque and Horwood, "Church Alley" extends into Aldermanbury, occupying the site of Three Nun Court.Called "Church Alley North." "Church Alley South," in Strype, ed. 1755, p. 820. "Church Passage," 1792 (End. Ch. Rep. 1829, p. 108).It formed a square in which stood St. Michael's Bassishaw Church, hence the name.3) Out of Noble Street, Foster Lane (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.4) South-west out of Giltspur Street at Pye Corner to Snow Hill, on the east side of St. Sepulchre's Church and churchyard, in Farringdon Ward Without (Boyle, 1799).Former names : "Green Dragon Court" (O. and M. 1677). "St. Sepulchre's Alley" or " Sepulchre Alley" (P.C. 1732-Lond. Guide, 1758). "Church Lane" (Strype, 1720 and 1755).A paved passage from Hart Street without Newgate to the south end of Pye Corner (Hatton, 1708).Removed towards the end of the i8th century for the widening of Giltspur Street.5) On the west side of Puddledock Hill, a passage to Blackfryars (Hatton, 1708-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.6) In parish of St. Nicholas Shambles, 14 H. VII. (L. and P. H. VIII. I. 1509-14, p. 744).Not further identified.7) Tenements and shops of Adam Godman on the northern side of an "alei" called "Chirchealei" in parish of St. Stephen Colman Strete (Cal. P.R. H. VI. 1446-52, p. 178).No later mention.8) North out of Watling Street, on the east side of St. Augustine's Church (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).It seems to be still shown as a passage by the east side of the church, but is not named and is used as an entrance to business houses adjoining.9) Out of Harp Alley, Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.Probably identical with Churchyard Alley, Shoe Lane (q.v.).10) Tenement situate in "le chirch Aley" in parish of St. Michael (upon Cornhull), 1455 (Ct. H.W. II. 536).Mentioned in Churchwardens' Accounts of the parish in 1458 (Overall, p. 14).It seems to have been called "the Church Rents" at this time also (ib. 32).Qy. = St. Michael's Alley (q.v.).11) See St. Peter's Alley, Cornhill.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.