- Adam and Eve Court
- 1) North out of Angel Alley, Bishopsgate Street Without, near Skinner Street (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).Name derived from the sign, which was a favourite trade sign and the arms of the Fruiterers' Company.Site now covered by the Metropolitan and Great Eastern Railway lines, etc.2) West out of Petticoat Lane in Portsoken Ward, in the parish of St. Botolph, Aldgate (P.C. 1732 -Boyle, 1799). Not named in the maps.3) South-west out of Duke's Place, through New Court to King Street. In Aldgate Ward (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).Former name: "Adam's Court" (Rocque, 1746 -Boyle, 1799).Named after a sign, as in previous case. Removed for the formation of Mitre Street4) North out of West Smithfield to the City boundary in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799).Former name: Adam and Eve Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Dodsley, 1761). The site is now occupied by Smithfield Meat Market.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.