- City of London School
- At the east end of the Victoria Embankment, east of John Carpenter Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).Founded in 1835, and erected on the north side of Honey Lane Market, partly in Cheap Ward and partly in Cripplegate Ward Within. Removed to the Embankment, 1878-80.Part of the income of the school is derived from certain tenements bequeathed by John Carpenter in the reign of Henry V. for the education and maintenance of poor children in schools, etc.New building designed 1878. Architects, Messrs. Emanuel and Davis.In Rocque the site is occupied by Alexander's Yard and the wharves, etc., in O.S. by the City of London Gas Works. In Horwood by the New River Office and Yard.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.