- 1) A large messuage in the parishes of All Hallows the Great and All Hallows the Less in Dowgate Ward, which stood on the site now occupied by the City of London Brewery (q.v.).The church of All Hallows the Less stood over an arched gate, which gave entry to this house (S. 237).The earliest mention of the capital tenement called "Coldherberghe" occurs c. 1517, 13 Ed. II., when it was leased by Robert, son of William de Hereford to Sir John Abel for ten years (Cal. L. Bk. E. 108-9).Sir John de Pulteney purchased it 8 Ed. III. (S. 237), and in 1347, 21 Ed. III., it is described as his messuage called "le Coldeherberghere" in the ward of Dowgate. with its lands extending from Thamise strete towards "le Heywharf" (Cal. Close Rolls, Ed. III. 1346-9, p. 236). The earl of Salisbury leased it from Sir J. Pulteney in 1346 (Cal. P.R. Ed. III. 1345-8, p. 141) and prior to his death, Sir John finally disposed of it to the Earl of Hereford in 1347 "with the wharf, etc., formerly belonging to Rob. de Hereford in the lane called 'Heywarflane'" (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 158).From the earl of Hereford it passed by marriage to the earl of Arundel, on whose attainder it fell to the Crown (H. Co. Mag. Vol. XIV. No. 54, p. 83).In 1398, 21 Rich. II., licence was granted for the alienation in mortmain of two messuages called "le Coldherbergh" in parish of "All Hallows at Haywharf in the Ropery," being 66 ft. in length and 55 ft. in width for the enlargement of the said church and for making a cemetery (Cal. P.R. Rich. II. 1396-9, p. 353).This licence did not include the whole property nor the principal messuage, but only some of the outlying parcels of land on the northern portion of the estate, and in the next reign, viz., 11th H. IV. 1410, the "inn or place called Coldeherbergh" was granted to Henry, Prince of Wales (Cal. P.R. H. IV. 1408-13, p. 172). By the 22nd H. VI. "the house called Coldherbergh," with its tenements in the parish of All Hallows the Less in the Ward of Dowgate had passed into the hands of John, duke of Exeter (Cal. P.R. H. VI. 1441-6, p. 230).In 1461, on the attainder of Henry Holland, duke of Exeter, the house again came into the possession of the Crown, and in I Rich. III. 1484, the king made a grant of "Colde Arber" to the Heralds (Cal. P.R. Rich. III. 1476-85, p. 422).It appears from the Letters and Papers of Henry VIII. V. p. 775, that the books of the Office of Arms were kept at "Colherberd" in 1532.In 1543 Tunstal, Bishop of Durham, obtained "Colherbert" in Thamys streete from the king in exchange for tenements belonging to him in the parish of St. Martin in the Fields (ib. XVIII. Pt. 1, p. 548). After his deposition it again came into the hands of the Crown, and was granted by the Protector Somerset, temp. Edward VI., to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who leased the eastern portion to the Waterman's Company for their Hall with the quays and watergate. In Norden's map of London, 1593, the remaining portion is described as "Shrewsbury House," and also in Hoefnagel's map, 1571, " Showsbury House."In 1593 this western portion ceased to exist as a private house, and the earl rebuilt it and let it out in tenements, as appears from Remembrancia.The Coldharbour was a privileged place, not subject to the jurisdiction of the City (H. MSS. Com. Salisbury Papers, V. p. 139).In the 17th century it obtained a very evil reputation as the resort of low characters referred to in plays of the period, and was known as the "Devil's Sanctuary." It was made over to the Corporation of the City of London, 6 Jas. I. (Home Co. Mag. Vol. XIV. No.54, pp. 85-7).The capital messuage of "Colharbor" alias "Colharborowe" is mentioned in a deed of 1663 (L.C.C. Deeds, Harben Bequest, 1607-1700, No. 158).Burnt in the Great Fire. Waterman's Hall rebuilt 1719. In 1778 the Company removed from this neighbourhood and the property passed to Henry Calvert, who founded the brewing firm whose business premises now occupy the site.The name of the old house was commemorated in "Coleharbour Lane" q.v.) leading to the Thames.The derivation of this name has given rise to much discussion.As a place name it is of frequent occurrence in various parts of the country. It occurs again in London within the Tower precincts, and in Clerkenwell and Camberwell, as already stated. In Sussex, not far from Dorking. In Hertfordshire.Isaac Taylor, in "Words and Places," p. 171, says that there are no less than seventy places bearing this name to be found on ancient lines of roads, and he mentions three on Akerman Street, four on Ermine Street, two on Icknield Street, two on the Portways, and one on the Fossway, while other places bear the analogous name, "Caldicot."In the London records referred to, the first syllable of the name is always given with "d" and is spelt "cold" or "colde," and Professor Skeat, in his Place Names of Hertfordshire, p. 68, in denouncing those who have raised difficulties about the derivation says that it means what it says and was a name given to a wayside refuge, "a place of shelter from the weather for wayfarers, constructed by the wayside," where the travellers could obtain shelter but no fire or food, "a cold shelter," and he attributes the same meaning to the syllable "cald" in "Caldicot."Compare the "kalte herbergen" of Germany, the mediaeval inns.2) Seems to have been a cell or prison within the Tower precincts. 1533-4 (L. and P. H. VIII. Dom. S. Vols. VI. P. 4, and VII. p. 173).In the White Tower (De Ros, Memorials, p. 25). Ammunition stored there 1666 (L. and P. Chas. II. D. S. 1665-6, p. 310).Forms of name : "Colharbarow," 1533 (See above). "Colherberd," 1534 (See above). "Colherborowe," 1571-2 (Britton and Brayly, p. 322).3) See Cole-Harbour Lane
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.