- Cooper's Row
- South out of Crutched Friars, at No. 17, to Trinity Square (P.O. Directory). Partly in Aldgate Ward, the south-eastern end being in a detached portion of Tower Ward (O.S.).First mention: Horwood, 1799.Former name : "Woderouelane," 44 H. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 2656). " Woodroffe Lane" (Stow, 148).A portion of the old wall of London was found during the rebuilding of some warehouses in Cooper's Row, 106 ft. 6 in. in length, the lower foundations being Roman and the upper portion mediaeval (Povah, p. 11).Derivation of name : From owners of property in the neighbourhood. The earlier name commemorated the family of Woodroffe, of whom there was a representative still surviving named David, Sheriff in 1554, a great benefactor to the parish of St. Andrew Undershaft (S. 147).The Drapers' almshouses (q.v.) founded by Sir John Milbourne were standing here 1845.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.