- Crown Court
- 1) South out of Cheapside at No. 64, next to Sir John Bennett's (P.O Directory). In Cheap Ward.First mention: O. and M. 1677.Probably named after the house called the "Crown" occupied by a Mercer, temp. H. VIII.See Crowned Seld.2) Out of Cow Lane, West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C.. 1732-Strype, ed. 1755).Not named in the maps.3) North out of Threadneedle Street, in Broad Street Ward (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).The site seems to be now occupied by offices and chambers.4) North out of Turnagain Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831).Removed for the formation of Holborn Viaduct, etc.5) West out of Old Broad Street at No. 61, formerly on the north side of The church of St. Peter le Poor, in Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).First mention: O. and M. 1677.Name derived from the sign.6) East out of Warwick Lane at No. 36 (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.First mention: "Crown Inn" (S. 365 ; and Strype, ed. 1720), with a passage to Newgate Market.The court leading to Crown Inn is called Baker's Court in O. and M. 1677.Not in Maitland, 1775.The court now consists of warehouses.7) West out of Golden Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677, to O.S.1880).The site is now occupied by Cripplegate Street (q.v.).8) West out of Little Moorfields, in Cripplegate Ward Without. Near the postern (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.9) West out of Chancery Lane at No. 120 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.First mention: "Crowne Court or Andrews Crosse," 43 Eliz. (Lond. I. p.m. III. 286).The Messuage called "Andrewes Crosse" described as within the bars of the New Temple with four houses adjoining in Chanceller Lane, lay between the tenement called. "the Cage" north, the tenement of John Everard south, field called Fyckettes Felde west and the highway east in parish of St. Dunstan, and belonged to the priory of St. John. of Jerusalem, 35 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 40).10) East out of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without, north of Jewin Street (Strype, ed. 1720-O.S. 1875).Former name : "Crown Yard" (O. and M. 1677).Rebuilt for business purposes.11) The western continuation of Tudor Street to Dorset Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).Called "Crown Alley" (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799).Now called Tudor Street (q.v.).12) South out of Church Hill Alley with a passage east to Addle Hill. (Strype, 1720 and 1755).The site is now occupied by the British and Foreign Bible Society's offices.13) South out of Fleet Street at No. 71, between Whitefriars Street and Salisbury Court (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.First mention: Lond. Guide, 1758.Former name : "Hanging Sword Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).14) South of Dunning's Alley, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-L. Guide, 1758).The site is now occupied by the North London and Great Eastern Railway lines.15) West out of Seething Lane (O.S. 25 in. 1880).Earliest mention: O. and M. 1677.Site covered by Byward Street.16) South out of Trinity Lane in Vintry Ward, west of Garlick Hill (W. Stow, 1722, and Rocque, 1746-Elmes 1831).Former name : "Jack, Jack's Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).The site is now occupied by Mansion House Station.17) West out of Milk Street, in Cripplegate Ward Within (Strype, 1720 and 1755).South of Clement's Court.Seems to be identical with Godfrey's Court (q.v.).18) East out of Butcher Hall Lane at No. 5, in Farringdon Ward Within (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).Site has been rebuilt.19) South out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831).The site is now covered by Smithfield Market.20) East out of Philpot Lane, in Billingsgate Ward (O.S. 1848-51-1880).It seems to be shown in the earlier maps, but not named.There was a tenement called "the Crown" in parish of St. Denis Bakchurche, 31 H. VIII. 1539 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIV. (1), p. 595), and the court may have been named after this sign.21) North out of Great Bell Alley to White's Alley. In Coleman Street Ward. Another branch further west ran north out of White's Alley (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).The northern portion out of White's Alley was removed for the formation of Moorgate Street.Rebuilt for business purposes.22) East out of the southern portion of Water Lane, in Whitefriars, Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).The site has been rebuilt.23) West out of Old Change at No. 10, in Castle Baynard Ward (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).The site is now occupied by Cannon Street.24) East out of Gracechurch Street, south of St. Benet Gracechurch. In Bridge Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).The site is now covered by offices and chambers, the Metropolitan Bank Buildings, etc.25) See Three Crown Court, Jewry Street.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.