Custom House and Wool Quays
   South out of Lower Thames Street, east of the Custom House (P.O. Directory).
   First mention: O.S. 1848-51.
   Former names : "Customers Key" or "Woole wharfe" (S. 1598, ed. p. 37). "Custom House Quay." 1637 (Cal. L. and P. Chas. I. D.S. XI. p. 97, to Elmes, 1831). "New Key" (O. and M. 1677). "Custom House Key" (Rocque, 1746-Horwood, 1799).
   In O. and M. 1677, and Strype, 1720 and 1755 eds. the lane running north and south, west of the Custom House is called Custom House Key.
   The name has survived from early times, as Wool Wharf was the original designation of this key, on which the old Custom House afterwards stood, before the present building was erected further west.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Wool Quay —    At the south end of Water Lane, east of that lane (S. 44).    Earliest mention: Wolkaye, .Wolkey, 51 Ed. III. 1377 (Cal. L. Bk. H. pp.63 and 65).    Other names: Wollewharf, 1326 (Ct. H.W. I. 319). Wollequarf, 1341 (Cal. Close R. Ed. III. 1341 …   Dictionary of London

  • List of historic buildings and architects of the United Kingdom — The Historic buildings of the United Kingdom date from the stone age to the twenty first century AD, and tell the story of the architecture of the United Kingdom.See also: List of British architects Pre Historic buildings structures Roman… …   Wikipedia

  • Galley Quay —    South out of Lower Thames Street, east of the Custom House and Wool Quays (P.O. Directory). In Tower Ward.    Earliest mention: Galey key given to Wm. Marowe and Joan his wife 1488 with le Maydenhede, etc. (H. MSS. Com. Var. Coll. IV. 336).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Aberdeen —    ABERDEEN, a city, and sea port town, the seat of a university, the capital of the county of Aberdeen, and the metropolis of the North of Scotland, 109 miles (N. N. E.) from Edinburgh, and 425 (N. by W.) from London; containing, with parts of… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Greenock —    GREENOCK, a sea port, burgh, and market town, in the Lower ward of the county of Renfrew, 17 miles (W. N. W.) from Renfrew, 22 (W. N. W.) from Glasgow, and 65 (W.) from Edinburgh; comprising the parishes of East, Middle, and West Greenock, and …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Glasgow —    GLASGOW, a city, the seat of a university, and a sea port, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the Lower ward of the county of Lanark, and situated in longitude 4° 15 51 (W.), and latitude 55° 52 10 (N.), 23 miles (E. by S.) from Greenock …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Oban —    OBAN, a burgh of barony, a sea port town, and lately a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Kilmore and Kilbride, district of Lorn, county of Argyll, 32 miles (W. N. W.) from Inverary, and 136 (W. by N.) from Edinburgh; containing 1554… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Great Famine (Ireland) — The Great Famine ( ga. An Gorta Mór [The term has appeared in the titles of numerous books on the event, as demonstrated by [http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=%22Gorta+Mo%CC%81r%22 =Search qt=results page this search on WorldCat] ] or ga. An… …   Wikipedia

  • Alloa —    ALLOA, a burgh of barony, sea port town, and parish, in the county of Clackmannan, 7 miles (E.) from Stirling; containing, with the villages of Cambus, Coalyland, Holton Square, and Tullibody, 7921 inhabitants, of whom 5434 are in the burgh,… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Peterhead —    PETERHEAD, a burgh of barony, sea port, and parish, in the district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen; containing, with the villages of Boddam and Burnhaven, and the late quoad sacra district of East Peterhead, 7619 inhabitants, of whom 4586 are… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”