- Cutler Street
- East out of Houndsditch, and south to Harrow Alley and Gravel Lane. In Portsoken Ward. (P.O. Directory).Erected c. 1734.Earliest mention: London Guide, 1758.Former names : "Scummer Alley." "Woolpack Alley" (O. and M. 1677, to Boyle, 1799). "Woolsack Alley" (Strype, 1720, to Rev. of Lond. 1728).But from about the middle of the 18th century this name is only given to the eastern end of the street, the western end being named : "Cutlers Street" (Rocque, 1746).The portion running south to Harrow Alley and Gravel Lane was known as "White Street" from 1746 (Rocque) to July, 1906, when the name was abolished and the whole called Cutler Street.Arms of the Cutlers' Company on a house in the street facing Houndsditch.The Company probably owned the street or a great portion of it, hence the name.Named after the Cutlers' Company.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.