Duke Street, Aldgate
   West from Aldgate to Bevis Marks (P.O. Directory). The south side is in Aldgate Ward, the northern in Portsoken Ward.
   First mention: Horwood, 1799.
   Former names : "Duke's Place" (S. ed. 1598, p. 106 ; O. and M. 1677-L. Guide, 1758). "Shoemaker's Row" (Rocque, 1746 ; and Maitland, 1775).
   Named after the house of the Duke of Norfolk, which had been built by Sir T. Audley after he pulled down the priory of Holy Trinity, and which, coming to the Duke of Norfolk by marriage with Sir T. Audley's daughter, was called Duke's place (S. 144).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Church Court, Duke Street, Aldgate —    See Church Passage …   Dictionary of London

  • Dark Entry, Duke Street, Aldgate —    See Church Passage …   Dictionary of London

  • Duke Street, Houndsditch —    West out of Houndsditch, leading into St. James Place, Aldgate (P.O. Directory).    Made towards the end of the 18th century, occupying the site of Red Lyon Yard and Three Bowl Court in O. and M. 1677, and Rocque, 1746 …   Dictionary of London

  • Great Synagogue, Duke Street —    On the south side of Duke Street next to No. 31 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.    First mention: Rocque, 1746, Jew s Synagogue.    Smaller than the present building.     Pav d Alley seems to occupy part of the site in O. and M. 1677, and… …   Dictionary of London

  • Duke's Place, Duke's Place Court —    See St. James Place; Mitre Square; also Duke Street, Aldgate …   Dictionary of London

  • Aldgate High Street —    From Duke Street at 19 and 20 Aldgate to Middlesex Street at 146 Whitechapel High Street. In Portsoken Ward.    Formerly called also: Whitechapel Street (O. and M. 1677 Rocque, 1746). Aldgate Street without Aldgate (L. Guide, 1758). Aldgate… …   Dictionary of London

  • Aldgate —    One of the gates in the City wall on its eastern side. It stood in the midst of the High Street, at the south eastern corner of what is now Duke Street. It is shown in Leake s map 1666 and in Agas, Guildhall ed. 1578. There is a plan of the… …   Dictionary of London

  • Aldgate Ward School —    Between Duke Street and Mitre Street, east of St. James Church, with a passage into Mitre Street (O.S.) at No.2 Mitre Street (End. Charities, Rep. 1902, p. I). Est. 1717 for boys and girls, under 34 trustees (ib.).    Funds transferred to… …   Dictionary of London

  • Aldgate — infobox UK place official name= Ward of Aldgate map type= Greater London country= England region= London london borough= City of London latitude= 51.51488 longitude= 0.07890 os grid reference= TQ334813 post town= LONDON postcode area= EC postcode …   Wikipedia

  • (St.) James' Place, Aldgate —    South east out of Duke Street at No. 33 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.    First mention: O.S. 1848 51.    Former names : Duke s Place (Leake, 1666 Elmes, 1831). Duke s Place Court (O. and M. 1677, and Strype). Broad Court (Rocque, 1746… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”