Dutch Church, Austinfriars
   On the east side of Austinfriars, at No. 6 (P.O. Directory).
   The western end of the Priory Church of the Augustine Friars was enclosed from the Steeple and Quier in 1550, and granted to the Dutch nation in London to be their preaching place (S. 178).
   Partly burnt, 1862. Repaired and restored 1863-5. Architect, l'Anson and Lightly.
   For further description See Augustin Friars.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Churches —    The origin of the word is treated under the head Church (q.v.).    The number of churches in London and its immediate suburbs, or within the City boundaries, has varied considerably at different times, but in early days it was extraordinarily… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”