Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.
   The site was occupied by Seven Step Alley (q.v.) until the formation of Ellison Street at the beginning of the 19th century.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Old Broad Street —    South from London Wall and Wormwood Street to No.53 Threadneedle Street (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward.    Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.    Former names: Broad Street (S. 132 Horwood, 1799). Bradestrete, 1258 9 (Ct. H.W. I. 3).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Providence Place, Middlesex Street —    West out of Middlesex Street, between Stoney Lane and Ellison. Street (P.O. Directory). In Portsoken Ward.    Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.    Built early in the 19th century.    Formerly formed part of Seven Step Alley (Rocque, 1746) …   Dictionary of London

  • Upper East Smithfield —    East from Littie Tower Hill to Dock Street (P.O. Directory).    Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.    Former name: East Smithfield (O. and M. 1677 Horwood, 1799).    Hatton (1708) says it was so called from its being in the east part of London,… …   Dictionary of London

  • Bull Inn —    1) On the north side of Leadenhall Street at No. 152 (O. and M. 1677 Lockie, 1816).    Earliest mention: Tenement called le Bull super le Hope and a tenement adjoyning called le Bull, in parish of St. Peter Cornhill and Ward of Limestrete, 34… …   Dictionary of London

  • New Street —    1) West from Cloth Street to King Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (O.S. 1880).    See Newbury Street.    2) Identified with Chancery Lane (q.v.). See Fetter Lane.    3) North out of Cloth Fair at No.43 (P.O. Directory). Led into Aldersgate… …   Dictionary of London

  • Eastcheap —    East from No. 48 Gracechurch Street and Fish Street Hill to Great Tower Street (P.O. Directory).    In Billingsgate, Bridge Within and Candlewick Wards.    The name is used to denote both the street and the market.    Earliest mention of name …   Dictionary of London

  • Cat's Hole —    East out of Little Tower Hill to St. Katherine s New Court (Horwood, 1799, and Lockie, 1816).    Earliest mention: In 1672 houses in Cats Hole and St. Katherine s Court were blown up to prevent a fire at Iron Gate Stairs spreading to and… …   Dictionary of London

  • Ball Court, Jewry Street —    West out of Jewry Street. In Aldgate Ward (L.C.C. List of Streets, 1912) at No. 15 (Lockie, 1810).    Earliest mention: P.C. 1732.    Site rebuilt for offices and business houses …   Dictionary of London

  • Barking Church Yard —    North out of Great Tower Street, east of All Hallows Barking Church. In Tower Ward (P.O. Directory).    Earliest mention: O.S. ed. 1848 51.    Former names : Barking Yard (O. and M. 1677 P.C. 1732). Barking Alley , (Rocque, 1746 Elmes, 1831).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Brown's Buildings —    1) In Upper East Smithfield at No. 116, nearly opposite Nightingale Lane (Lockie, 1810 Elmes, 1831).    Not named in the maps.    2) East out of St. Mary Axe, at No. 10 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.    Earliest mention (Rocque, 1746) :… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”