- Fann Street
- East out of Aldersgate Street, at No. 106, to Golden Lane. Part of the street is in Aldersgate and Cripplegate Wards Without, and part in the Borough of Fins bury outside the City boundary (P. O. Directory).First mention: "Fan Street" (Horwood, 1799).Former names : "Fanns Alley" (O. and M., 1677-Strype, 1720). "Fanns Alley (Rocque, 1746). "Stanns Alley" (Strype, 1720 and 1755). "Bridgewater Gardens" (P.C. 1732-O.S. 1875).In former times the street extended only from Aldersgate Street to Bridgewater Gardens, but in 1878 the name Fann Street was adopted for the whole street to Golden Lane, including Bridgewater Gardens (q.v.).The early forms suggest that it was named after an owner or builder.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.