Farringdon Avenue
   North-east out of Stonecutter Street to Farringdon Street (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.
   Erected 1892-3 on part of the site of Farringdon Market, Brewhouse Yard, etc.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Farringdon Market —    Between Farringdon Street east and Shoe Lane west, north of Stonecutter Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Elmes, 1831 O.S. 1880).    Erected 1826 by the Corporation of London. Archt., W. Montague. To replace Fleet Market, removed from… …   Dictionary of London

  • Farringdon Road — is a road in Clerkenwell, Central London. Its construction, which took almost 20 years between the 1840s and the 1860s, is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the nineteenth century. Not only was it one of the first… …   Wikipedia

  • Telephone House, Avenue —    On the Victoria Embankment between Carmelite Street and Temple Avenue (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.    First mention: Telephone Avenue (L.C.C. List, 1901) …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Bride's Avenue —    South out of Fleet Street at No. 87 to St. Bride1s Church, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).    Erected 1825 by the parishioners, after a fire which occurred in St. Bride s Passage in 1824, to open out a view of the church.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Paternoster Avenue —    South out of Paternoster Square, at No. 14, to Paternoster Row (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Within.    First named 1875 (L.C.C. List, 1901).    Former names: Paved Passage (ib.). Paved Alley (Horwood, 1799 Elmes, 1831). Paved Court… …   Dictionary of London

  • Brewhouse Yard —    1) East out of Shoe Lane at No. 33, in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799 Lockie, 1816).    Former names : Brewers Yard 1654 5 (L. and P. Commonw. VIII. 10, to Hatton, 1708.) Brewers Alley (P.C. 1732 Boyle, 1799).    Site now covered by… …   Dictionary of London

  • Rose and Crown Court —    1) East out of Fetter Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).    Site now covered by Blewitt s Buildings (q.v.).    2) East out of Whitecross Street.    See White Rose Place.    3) East out of Foster Lane at No.6, north of St.… …   Dictionary of London

  • George Alley, Fleet Market —    West from Fleet Market to Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Leake, 1666 Lockie, 1816).    In 1708 it had three passages into Rose and Crown Court (Hatton).    Removed for the erection of Farringdon Market, c. 1826. Site now covered by… …   Dictionary of London

  • Cross Alley —    North out of George Alley, with a passage west to Shoe Lane at No. 32. In Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799 Lockie, 1816).    Part of the site is covered by Farringdon Avenue …   Dictionary of London

  • Eagle and Child Alley —    East out of Shoe Lane at No. 39 to Fleet Market at No. 61, in Farringdon Ward Without (Elmes, 1831).    First mention: 1654 (L. and P. Commonwealth VII. 146).    Part of the site is now covered by Farringdon Avenue …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”