- (St.) Anne and St. Agnes
- On the north side of Gresham Street at No.7 (P.O. Directory). In Aldersgate Ward Within.First mention: " SS. Anne and Agnes within Aldrichegate," 1467 (Ct. H.W. II. 557).Other form : " Parish of St. Ann Agnes near Aldersgate," 1597 (ib. 724). It seems also to have been described variously as St. Anne (q.v.) and also as St. Agnes (q.v.), and it was probably one parish and church with a double dedication, as the names do not appear separately in any one list of churches and parishes, but sometimes one designation is used and sometimes another.It was rebuilt after the Fire by Sir C. Wren and the parish of St. John Zachary united to it.A Rectory. Patrons : The Bishop of London and the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's present to the living alternately.The dedication is to the mother of the Blessed Virgin Mary and to St. Agnes, the virgin-martyr, who suffered about 304.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.