Fore Court
   1) At Bridewell, Fleet Ditch (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
   Not named in the maps.
   2) At Doctors' Commons (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
   Not named in the maps.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • fore|court — «FR KRT, FOHR KOHRT», noun. 1. a front or outer court. 2. a) the part of a tennis court near the net. b) the part of a basketball court near the offensive basket …   Useful english dictionary

  • fore·court — /ˈfoɚˌkoɚt/ noun, pl courts [count] 1 : the area near the net in tennis 2 chiefly Brit : a large, flat, open area in front of a building …   Useful english dictionary

  • fore-court — …   Useful english dictionary

  • fore — [fôr, fōr] adv. [ME < OE fore, foran, akin to Ger vor < IE base * per , through, throughout, before > FOR1, FOR , L per] 1. at, in, or toward the bow of a ship: only in FORE AND AFT 2. Obs. previously adj …   English World dictionary

  • fore|yard — fore|yard1 «FR yahrd, FOHR », noun. the yard or court in front of a building. fore|yard2 «FR YAHRD, FOHR », noun. the lower yard on the foremast of a ship …   Useful english dictionary

  • Fore Street Avenue —    North out of Fore Street at No. 72 (P.O. Directory), with a branch West to Moor Lane and east to Moorfields. In Cripplegate Ward Without.    First mention: L.C.C. List, 1901.    The passage east into Moorfields was formerly called Green Arbour …   Dictionary of London

  • court of regard — A forest court held triennially for the lawing or expeditation of mastiffs, that is, by cutting off the claws and ball of each fore foot to prevent the dog from attacking deer. See 3 Bl Comm 72 …   Ballentine's law dictionary

  • fore·hand — /ˈfoɚˌhænd/ noun, pl hands [count] sports : a way of hitting a ball in tennis and similar games in which the palm of the hand holding the racket is turned in the direction of the ball She hit a forehand across the court. often used before another …   Useful english dictionary

  • Bishop's Court —    1) West out of Coleman Street at No.6. In Coleman Street Ward. (O. and M. 1677 Elmes, 1831).    The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.    There was a messuage called the Bishop s Head in Coleman Street, 27 Eliz. 1585.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Nailsea Court — from the nearby railway line …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”