- Fountain Court
- 1) Out of Bread Street (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.2) Out of Lothbury (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.3) East out of the Minories on the site of the present Colonial Avenue (q.v.). In Portsoken Ward (O.S. 1880).First mention: P.C. 1732.Former name : "Fountain Alley" (O. and M. 1677).(By measurement this Alley would seem to have lain further north.)Rebuilt towards the end of the i8th century and enlarged probably in 1793, so that in 1799 it seems to have covered the site of the former "London Prentice Yard" (q.v.).On or adjacent to the site of "The Old Fountain" Inn, taken down in 1793, of which there is an engraving in Smith's Antiquities of London, Plate LXV. Over the fireplace of the dining-room of this old inn was a date within a year of 1480.Named after the inn.4) East out of Aldermanbury at No. 1 (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Within.First mention: O. and M. 1677.At that time it had a passage into Church Alley leading by St. Lawrence Jewry Church to Cateaton Street (Gresham Street).The site was formerly occupied by the house of Sir Erasmus de la Fountaine, Knight, and hence the name of the court.5) On the west side of Middle Temple Lane, within the Temple precincts (P.O. Directory) on the north side of Middle Temple Hall. In Farringdon Ward Without.First mention: Rocque, 1746.Former name : "Hall (The) Court" (q.v.).There is a fountain in the Court.6) South out of Cheapside, north-west of St. Matthew's Church. In Farringdon Ward Within (P.C. 1732-O.S. 1880).Former names : "St. Matthew's Alley," "St. Matthew's Court" (O. and M. 1677-P.C. 1732). "Shepheards Court " (Strype, 1720 and 1755).Named after the Fountain Tavern there.Rebuilt for business purposes.7) South out of Old Bethlem in Bishopsgate Ward Without and west to New Broad Street (Lockie, 1810-O.S. 1880).Site now occupied by Liverpool Street Station.8) East out of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.