- Freeman's Court
- 1) North out of Cornhill. In Cornhill Ward (Rev. of Lond. 1728-Elmes, 1831).Former name : "Freeman's Yard" (O. and M. 1677-P.C. 1732).Removed for the rebuilding and enlargement of the Royal Exchange 1842.Named after one of the Aldermen of the City.There was a Ralph Freeman, Clothworker, Alderman of Cornhill Ward in 1632-4, and the court may have been named after him.2) North out of Cheapside at No. 103 to Honey Lane Market, with a passage east to No. 32 Laurence Lane (P.O. Directory). In Cheap Ward.First mention: Boyle, 1799.Former name : "Trump Alley," 33 H. VIII. 1540-1 (L. and P.H. VIII. XVI. 717, to Maitland, ed. 1775).Riley suggests that the Trumpers or makers of Trumpets may have lived here and that their Trumpets were probably used principally by the City Waits or Watchmen, and that a trumpet was known as a "wait." He also suggests that it is identical with Trump Street, but this is not so, Trump Street (q.v.) lying further north.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.