- In the reign of Hen. VI. on the south side of Cornhill from Birchin Lane to the Stocks (S. 200).Called also Phelipers (Riley's Mem. xii.).A place called the "Pheliperie" is mentioned in Cal. L. Bk. D. p. 244, 1311, probably situated upon Cornhill from the market held there by the Phelipers or Fripperers."Frippery" ("Pheliperia"), 1 Ed. II. 1308 (Cal. L. Bk. C. p. 163).The phelipers or fripperers were dealers in old clothes, furniture and household utensils, and these things were not allowed to be sold anywhere else but on Cornhill (Lib. Albus).Later on, owing to abuses, they were not allowed to hold their market after Vespers rung (ib.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.