- Garlick Hill
- North out of Upper Thames Street, at 190, to 40 Cannon Street (P.O. Directory). In Vintry Ward.Formerly it extended north to Great St. Thomas Apostle, the northern continuation to Cannon Street being called until recently "Bow Lane."First mention: "Garlyk hill," 1500-21 (Arnold's Chronicle, p. 77).Stow calls it Garlick hill, or hithe (S. 252), but "Garlickhithe" must have been a wharf on the river and not identical with the street called Garlick Hill.It appears from early records that this street was originally included in and formed part of Cordwainer Street (q.v.), which probably extended as far south as Thames Street.Named after Garlickhithe on the Thames (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Robert Garlick Hill Kean — (October 7, 1828 June 13, 1898) was a Virginia lawyer and Civil War bureaucrat, whose wartime diary, published after his death, continues to provide useful insight into the inner workings of the Confederate government during the War.Kean obtained … Wikipedia
Black Swan Alley, Garlick Hill — See Kennet Wharf … Dictionary of London
Three Shear Court, Garlick Hill — See Three Crown Court … Dictionary of London
Come Back (Jessica Garlick song) — Come Back CD cover … Wikipedia
Mossley Hill (ward) — Mossley Hill is a Liverpool City Council ward in the Liverpool Riverside Parliamentary constituency. It was formed for the 2004 municipal elections from the former Grassendale and Aigburth wards. Contents 1 Councillors 2 Election results 2.1… … Wikipedia
Conclusion of the American Civil War — The McLean house where Lee surrendered to Grant on April 9, 1865. This is a timeline of the conclusion of the American Civil War which includes important battles, skirmishes, raids and other events of 1865. These led to additional Confederate… … Wikipedia
(St.) James' Garlickhithe — On the east side of Garlick Hill at No. 18 and south of Maiden Lane. In Vintry Ward (P.O. Directory). Earliest mention found in records : St. James apud viniteriam, c. 1196 (Anc Deeds, A. 6457). Other forms of name : St. James by the… … Dictionary of London
Bowling Alley — 1) North out of Upper Thames Street between Garlick Hill and Little Trinity Lane, in Vintry and Queenhithe Wards, with steps at the northern end leading up to Sugar loaf Court (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799). The site has been rebuilt, and is… … Dictionary of London
Kennet Wharf — On the Thames, at No. 67 Upper Thames Street (P.O. Directory). Opposite Garlick Hill. In Vintry Ward. First mention: Horwood, 1799. Former name : Black Swan Alley (Leake, 1666, to Strype, 1755). Devised in 1517 to the Brewers Company … Dictionary of London
Sugar Loaf Court — 1) West out of Garlick Hill at No.14 (P.O. Directory). In Vintry Ward. Near Little Trinity Lane. First mention: Hatton, 1708. The Crown and Sugar Loaf public house is at No.14. 2) East out of Dorset Street to Bridewell Hospital, in… … Dictionary of London