- Globe Tavern
- 1) West out of Shoe Lane, with a passage south to Fleet Street (Rocque, 1746-Lockie, 1810).Site now occupied by Standard newspaper offices."Globe Court" (q.v.) in Strype, ed. 1755, and Boyle, 1799.2) North out of Cornhill with a passage to Threadneedle Street (Strype, 1720). In Cornhill Ward.Mentioned in 1660 (H. MSS. Com. 7th Rep. 88).It is shown in O. and M. 1677, and in Rocque, 1746, but not named in these maps. In Maitland, 1775, described as afterwards "Cross Keys Tavern" (II. 898).The area seems to have been rebuilt before 1755, and in Horwood's map, 1799, the site is occupied by the Sun Fire Office.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.