- Great Shire Lane
- North from Temple Bar to Carey Street, the south-eastern corner only being in Farringdon Ward Without, the remaining portion lying outside the City boundary (Elmes, 1831).Other names : "Sheere Lane" (O. and M. 1677). "Shyre Lane" (S. 375). "Shear Lane or Shire Lane" (Strype, ed. 1720). "Lower Serle's Place and Searle's Place (O.S. 1848-51).So called because it divideth the Cittie from the Shire (S. 375).Named Serle's Place after Henry Serle, whose arms are over Carey Street Gateway.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.