Ashentree Court
   North out of George Yard and Magpie Alley, within the precinct of Whitefriars (O.S. 1880).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Ashentbee [Ashentree?] Court —    North out of Temple Street, Whitefriars, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. M. 1677 Elmes, 1831).    Now called Glasshouse Alley (q.v.). Ashantree Court (Horwood, 1799).    The southern end out of White Friars is called Cloth Workers Court in O.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Great Ashentree Court, Whitefriars —    See Ashen Tree Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Little Ashentree Court —    West out of Water Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746 L. Guide, 1758).    On or near the site of Britton s Court (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

  • Ashantree Court —    See Ashentree Court [Ashentbee?] Court, Temple Street …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Andrew's Court, Temple Street —    West out of Glasshouse Alley, Temple Street in Farringdon Ward Without (O.S. 1875).    First mention: Lockie, 1810.    Lockie describes it as forming part of Ashentree Court (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

  • Cloth Workers' Court —    North out of White Friers, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).    See Paved Alley and Ashentree Court, Temple Street …   Dictionary of London

  • George Yard —    1) South out of Fenchurch Street, west of the Saracen s Head Yard (O.S. 1894 5, and Bacon, 1912). In Aldgate Ward.    First mention: P.C. 1732.    Other name : Coach yard (Rocque, 1746).    There is a George Hotel at No. 86 in P.O. Directory.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Whitefriars —    A precinct or liberty comprising the site of the former House of Carmelite or White Friars on the south side of Fleet Street between Bridewell and the Temple.    Site marked by the precinct of Whitefriars, O.S. 1880.     Fratres beatae Mariae… …   Dictionary of London

  • Magpie Alley —    West out of Whitefriars Street, at No. 20, to George Yard, within the precinct of Whitefriars, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).    First mention: In P. Clerks, 1732, described as Magpye alley, or glasshouse alley in Great Ashentree …   Dictionary of London

  • Paved Alley —    North out of Temple Street to Ashentree Court, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746 Boyle, 1799).    Site now occupied by Glasshouse Alley (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”