- Grey Friars
- A house of Franciscan Friars, or Friars Minors, on the north side of Newgate Street, on the site afterwards occupied by Christ's Hospital and Christ Church Newgate Street. In Farringdon Ward Within.The Frere Menours came first into England in 1224 (Chron. of London (1189-1485), p.11).Stow tells us that 9 friars came over, 4 coming to London, and five remaining at Canterbury. Lodged for 15 days with the preaching friars in Holborn and then hired a house in Cornhill of John Treners, Sheriff (S. 319).They increased so rapidly in numbers and popularity that they were removed by the citizens to a place in S. Nicholas Shambles. H. Waleys built the body of the church, Walter Potter, Alderman, the Chapter House, Gregory Rokesley the Dorter, etc. (S. 319).The quire of the new church was begun in 1306 and built within 21 years. The church was 300 ft. long, 89 ft. broad, 64 ft. high. Consecrated 1325 (S. 320).In 1397 a grant was made to the Commonalty of a piece of land to the south of the Church 95' 2" long, 8' 4" wide at the "south-west boteras" and 7' 9" wide at the "West boteras," reserving to themselves an "alure" 2 ft. wide with a door to be made by the Mayor and Commonalty (Cal. P.R. 1396-9, p. 88).Library founded by Richard Whittington, 1429, in length 129 ft., in breadth 31 ft. A conduit head and watercourse were also given to them (S. 320).The conduit yard is shown in a "Plat of the Greyfriars" in Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. V. 421, 1546 and 1617.Monastery surrendered 1538 (S. 320).In L. and P. H. VIII. 1543, XVIII. (1), p. 132, a description is given of the site of the late Friars Minors and boundaries indicated of the church of the Friars, London Wall, Northumberland Place, the garden of the Friars, etc., with the watercourse known as "le Conduyte."In 1547 a grant was made to the mayor and citizens of the church of the Grey Friars, house and site of the Friars, le Fraytrye, le Lybraye, le Dorter, le Chapiter House, le Greate Cloyster, and le Little Cloyster and houses on the north of the Little Cloyster (L. and P. H. VIII. XXI. (2), p. 414).The Greyfriars' gate into Newgate Street was in existence in 1649-72, a tradesman's token there of that date being mentioned by Burn, p. 96.Church to be a parish church. See Christ Church, Newgate Street.House of the Grey Fryers repaired 1552 for poor fatherless children (S. 321).See Christ's Hospital.The site is now occupied by the new General Post Office buildings.There is a most interesting survey of the precincts in 1617, with the buildings shown as indicated in a MS. survey of 1546, preserved by the authorities of St. Bartholomew's Hospital and reproduced in Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. V. p. 421. The survey shows the exact position of the church, the cloisters and gardens, the bakehouse, brewhouse, etc., with the adjacent streets and buildings, the Wall of London, Newgate, etc.See Plate III.There is also a good account of the church, etc., in Lond. Topog. Rec. II. p. 29.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.