Harp Court, Alley
   South out of Knightrider Street west of Lambeth Hill, in Castle Baynard Ward (Boyle, 1799).
   "Harp Alley" (P.C. 1732-Rocque, 1746). "Hart Court" (O. and M. 1677).
   Site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices, etc.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Harp Court, Alley, Yard —    In Black Horse Alley, Fleet Street, at its northern end, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732 Elmes, 1831).    Lockie says it communicated with Fleet Market.     Hart Court in O. and M. 1677.    Described on a tradesman s token issued 1649 72 …   Dictionary of London

  • Harp Court —    East out of Grub Street, at No. 43, in Cripplegate Ward Without, to the City Police Station in Moor Lane (P.O. Directory).    First mention: Harp Alley and Clun s Alley (q.v.), O. and M. 1677. Lunds Alley (Strype, ed. 1720).    Called Harp… …   Dictionary of London

  • Jews' Harp Court —    South out of Angel Alley in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Strype, 1720, I. ii. 108 Elmes, 1831).    The site is now occupied by the North London Railway.    Name derived from the sign …   Dictionary of London

  • Harp Alley, Knightrider Street —    See Harp Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Hart Court —    1) South out of Knightrider Street in Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677 Dodsley, 1761).    See Harp Court, Alley, Knightrider Street.    2) North out of Black Horse Alley, Fleet Market, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).    Site… …   Dictionary of London

  • Clun's Alley, Yard —    East out of Grub Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    Leading into Harp Alley, Moor Lane. Lunds Alley in Strype.    Now Harp Court (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

  • Lund's Alley —    East out of Grub Street to Moor Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720).    Called Cluns Alley in O. and M. 1677, and leading into Harp Alley, now Harp Court (q.v.) …   Dictionary of London

  • Church Alley —    1) See St. Dunstan s Alley.    2) West out of Basinghall Street at No. 70, leading to Three Nun Court (P.O. Directory). In Bassishaw Ward.    First mention: Strype, ed. 172O.    Former name : Bassishaw Alley (O. and M. 1677 Hatton, 1708).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Red Bull Court —    1) North out of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    The site is now occupied by offices and business houses. Named after the sign.    2) Out of Harp Alley, Grub Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie …   Dictionary of London

  • Windsor Court —    1) West out of Monkwell Street at No. 40, in Farringdon Ward Within (det.) (P.O. Directory).    First mention: Strype, ed. 1720.    Part of the site is occupied by Do Little s Yard in O. and M. 1677.    The name is derived from a large house… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”