Herb Market, Leadenhall
   The southernmost portion of Leadenhall Market. In Bishopsgate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
   "Skinner's Place" occupied the site later.
   Rebuilt in 1730 and called the "New Market" or "Nashe's Rents" with shops chiefly for butchers, and a new passage into Lime Street (Maitland, 1775, II. 1003).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Leadenhall Market —    On the south side of Leadenhall Street between Gracechurch Street and Lime Street, at No. 88 Gracechurch Street (P.O. Directory).    Partly in Lime Street Ward, partly in Bishopsgate Ward Within.    After the acquisition of the Leadenhall… …   Dictionary of London

  • Skinners' Place —    1) East out of Size Lane, between Queen Victoria Street and Budge Row. In Cordwainer Ward (O.S. 1880).    First mention: Elmes, 1831.    Described by Elmes as a mansion, belonging to the Skinners Company on the eastern side of Size Lane,… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”