- The Herber
- A mansion on the east side of Dowgate, near to the church of St. Mary Bothaw (S. 233). In Dowgate Ward.Earliest mention: "lerber," 1368 (Ct. H.W. II. 122). "Erber," 1373 (Cal. Close Rolls, Ed. III. 1369-74, p. 606). "Herber," 13 Rich. II. (Cal. L. Bk. H. p. 349). "la Herber," 16 Rich. II. (ib. 385). "le Erbere," 1410 (Deed in Lappenberg, Pt. II. p. 35).In 1373 it belonged to the widow of John de Hatfield (Hust. R. 101 (174), etc.), who gave it to Wm., lord Latimer.In 1410 it is described as the great "placeam Comitis Westmerland vocatam le Erbere," with Carter lane ( = Bush lane) next to it south, and itself forming the northern and western boundaries of a tenement in Gofairlane ( = Cross Lane) called "the George."The grant of the tenement called "le Erber" in the ward of Dowegate to the earl of Westmoreland was made in 1399, it having previously belonged to Wm. Lescrope (Cal. P.R. H. IV. 1399-1401, p. 149).In 1392 the common beam and balance were there and the wardenship of them was given to John Spencer in that year on the understanding that he occupied the house in person (ib. Rich. II. 1391-6, p. 144).The earl of Salisbury lodged there in 1457 (Chron. of Lond. p. 168).The site is now occupied by part of Cannon Street Station.The derivation of the name is obscure. Prideaux suggests "Arbour" as the equivalent (N. and Q. 11th S. III. p. 121).Lappenberg suggests its derivation from the Norman French "erbier," French "erbois," a "Grasplatz" = garden.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.