- Le Holyrodewharf
- In the parish of St. Mary at Hill, in Billingsgate Ward, on the Thames.Earliest mention: 1289. "la holirode warf" (H. MSS. Com. 9th Rep. 17).At one time belonged to Holy Trinity Priory, 28 H. VIII. 1536 (L. and P. H. VIII. D. S. X. p. 530).The site seems now to be occupied by Billingsgate Market.See Freyereswharff.Perhaps named after a wayside cross or crucifix in the neighbourhood.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.