Hoop Yard
   Tavern on the east side of Fish Street Hill, north of Thames Street. In Bridge Ward Within (Strype, 1720-Rocque, 1746).
   " Hoop Yard" (Lond. Guide, 1758-Boyle, 1799). "Hoop Tavern Passage," 1750 (Wilson, Hist. of St. Laurence Pountney, p. 144).
   The Hoop Tavern is mentioned in 1674 as having existed before the Fire (ib. 147).
   There are not many instances of the "Hoop" being used by itself as a sign in England, although frequently used in conjunction with other signs as "Swan on the Hoop," "Cock on the Hoop," etc.
   It is said in Larwood and Hotten that these names are due to the fact that formerly, instead of being on a painted board, the subject of the sign was carved and hung within a hoop-so the old signs were called "on the Hoop."

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Cock and Hoop Yard —    East out of Houndsditch. In Portsoken Ward (in O.S. 1880 ed.).    Earliest mention: O. and M. 1677.    Removed for extension of Stoney Lane into Houndsditch, July, 1899 …   Dictionary of London

  • Hoop Tavern —    Tavern on the east side of Fish Street Hill, north of Thames Street. In Bridge Ward Within (Strype, 1720 Rocque, 1746).     Hoop Yard (Lond. Guide, 1758 Boyle, 1799). Hoop Tavern Passage, 1750 (Wilson, Hist. of St. Laurence Pountney, p. 144).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Horsheved on the Hoop —    Tenement so called in parish of St. Mary Colechurche near the Conduit, south of the Poultry, in Cheap Ward, 1 Rich. II. (Anc. Deeds, A. 7593).    Brew house called le Horsehed, 4 H. IV. (ib. A. 6869).     Horse Head in Chepe, 28 H. VIII. 1536… …   Dictionary of London

  • De Hoop, Holwerd — De Hoop, June 2003 Origin Mill name De Hoop Mill location …   Wikipedia

  • truss hoop — noun 1. a. : the band of a truss encircling the mast b. : one of the truss bands that encircle a yard 2. : a hoop placed around the staves of a barrel (as by a trusser) to force them into shape and position * * * a hoop placed around the staves… …   Useful english dictionary

  • Horn Tavern —    1) On the north side of Fleet Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).    Given in 1405 to the Goldsmiths Company under the title of The Horn in the Hoop.    Mentioned in Machyn s Diary 1557. Site now occupied by Anderton s Hotel,… …   Dictionary of London

  • Helm on ye Hoope —    Tenement of Thomas de Lillyngston so called in parish of St. Peter de Cornhull, 1361 (Ct. H.W. II. 30).    In 1490 part of the rents or profits were appropriated to the poor of that parish (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 139).    Not further… …   Dictionary of London

  • Iren on the Hope —    A tenement so called in parish of St. Mary Magdalene in Olde fisshe strete, in ward of Castle baynard, 16 Rich. II. 1393 (Cal. P.R. Rich. III. 1391 6, p. 281).    Not further identified.    For the origin of the expression on the Hope See Hoop …   Dictionary of London

  • Stoney Lane —    West out of Middlesex Street, at No. 71, to Houndsditch (P.O. Directory).    Earliest mention Strype, ed. 1720.    In the later maps, as Horwood, etc., the part into Houndsditch was occupied by Cock and Hoop Yard, which was removed for the… …   Dictionary of London

  • Croquet — This article is about the game. For the food; item, see Croquette. For the Smalltalk based 3D software platform, see Croquet project. Modern croquet equipment …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”