- Ayre's Charity Almshouses
- On the north side of Moorgate Street Buildings, at the western end (O.S.). In Coleman Street Ward. Founded 1544 by Mr. Christopher Ayre, merchant and leather-seller for six poor men and their wives. Left in trust to the Leather-sellers' Company. These almshouses formed originally Almshouse Yard (q.v.) on the north side of White's Alley, Coleman Street, and are still shown on that site in O.S., although much altered and rebuilt. Removed 1894, and the inhabitants dispersed with liberal allowances (Welch).Sometimes spelt Eyre, Air.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.