- (St.) James' Place, Aldgate
- South-east out of Duke Street at No. 33 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.First mention: O.S. 1848-51.Former names : "Duke's Place" (Leake, 1666-Elmes, 1831). "Duke's Place Court" (O. and M. 1677, and Strype). "Broad Court" (Rocque, 1746-Maitland, 1775).Named after the Church of St. James', Duke's Place. It was called Duke's Place after the Duke of Norfolk, who held the property by marriage with the daughter of Thomas Audley.Duke's Place Court, or Broad Place, as Maitland calls it, led out of Duke's Place under an arch. The Dutch Jew's Synagogue stood at the south-eastern corner (Maitland, 1775).Duke's Place occupied the site of the Great Court of Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate. Plans of the site, etc., are mentioned in H. MSS. Com. 7th Rep. 192, as in existence in that Collection.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.