Jewin Street
   East out of Aldersgate Street, between Nos. 44 and 45, to Redcross Street, in Aldersgate and Cripplegate Wards Without (P.O. Directory).
   First mention: 1672 (L. and P. Chas. II. XII. 274).
   The street was erected on the site of what had been called "Jews' Garden" (q.v.), and the name is derived from this circumstance.
   Stow speaks of houses having been erected on the ground when he wrote, viz. 1603, so that the formation of the street would date from about that time.
   15 messuages, described in a deed of 1687 as formerly part of Jewin garden, commonly called the "Companyes garden," owned by the Goldsmiths' Company (L.C.C. Deeds, Harben Bequest, 1600-1700, No. 114).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Jewin Court —    South out of Jewin Street at No. 11, in Aldersgate and Cripplegate Wards Within (Horwood, 1799 O.S. 1875 and 1880).    The site is now occupied by Edmund Place, this portion of the street having been erected about 1891.    For the origin of… …   Dictionary of London

  • Jewin Crescent —    North out of Jewin Street, between Nos. 34 35 and 48 49, in Alders gate Ward Without and Cripplegate Ward Without (P.O. Directory).    So named in 1878.    In Horwood, 1799, the eastern half only was erected, not the houses in Aldersgate Ward …   Dictionary of London

  • Well Street —    1) South out of Jewin Street to Nicholl Square (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Without.    First mention: Well Street, formerly Crowders Well Alley (Harrison, 1776, p.469).    Former name: Crowders Well Alley (O. and M. 1677 Chamberlain …   Dictionary of London

  • Hamsell Street —    South out of Jewin Street, at No. 20, to Nicholl Square (P.O. Directory). In Aldersgate and Cripplegate Wards Without.    First mention: O.S. 1875, Name given April, 1870 (L.C.C. List, 1901).    Former name : Red Cross Square (Rocque, 1746 O.S …   Dictionary of London

  • Bull Head Court —    1) East out of Snow Hill, near the Conduit, in Farringdon Ward Without (Hatton, 1708).    Not named in the maps.    2) North out of Newgate Street, in Farringdon Ward Within (O. and M. 1677 Elmes, 1831).    Strype says here was anciently a… …   Dictionary of London

  • Lauderdale Court —    North out of Jewin Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755).     Lauderdale Court in Hatton (1708).    Erected on the site of the garden of Lauderdale House in Aldersgate Street. It communicated with Goldsmith s Alley (q …   Dictionary of London

  • Edmund Place —    East out of Aldersgate Street at No. 17 and north to No. 9 Jewin Street (P.O. Directory). In Aldersgate Ward Without.    First mention: O.S., 1848 51.    The site was formerly occupied by Angel Alley, Horn Alley, Jewin Court, Cockpit Court and …   Dictionary of London

  • Crown Court —    1) South out of Cheapside at No. 64, next to Sir John Bennett s (P.O Directory). In Cheap Ward.    First mention: O. and M. 1677.    Probably named after the house called the Crown occupied by a Mercer, temp. H. VIII.    See Crowned Seld.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Nixon's Square —    At the north end of Goldsmith s Alley and Bull Head Court, Jewin Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746 Elmes, 1831).    A very mean little Square (Dodsley, 1761). Site now occupied by Jewin Crescent. Named after the owner or… …   Dictionary of London

  • Cradle Court —    1) West out of Addle Hill, in Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677).    The site is now occupied by Queen Victoria Street.    The Cradle seems to have been a distinctive street sign in former times.    2) East out of Aldersgate Street, in… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”