- Leadenhall Street
- East from Cornhill to Aldgate (P.O. Directory).The east end is in Aldgate Ward, the western portion in Lime Street Ward (O.S.).First mention: 1622 (Remembrancia, p. 51).In former times this street seems to have been included in Aldgate and Cornhill, or to have been called the "high Street.""Aldgate Street" as far as Lime Street (S. ed. 1603, p. 140).The church of St. Andrew Undershaft (See s.v.) is often styled in early records. "St. Andrew upon Cornhill," which would seem to suggest that that part of Leadenhall Street was then included in Cornhill.Largely rebuilt during the later years of the 19th century and old houses and shops taken down.Under No.71 was the crypt of the chapel of St. Michael, filled in and destroyed 1870. The discovery suggests that the level of the street has been considerably raised since the original foundation of the chapel.Houses at the east end taken down 1760 to widen the street.In 1766, after the fire in Leadenhall Street, the remains were discovered of an old Gothic church, or of the crypt of the church, on the north side of Leadenhall Street at its junction with Bishopsgate Street, about 40 ft. long and 26 ft. wide (Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. 82).It seems unlikely that this can be the crypt of the original church of St. Peter, Cornhill, as the remains suggest a church of later date than the original foundation, and there is no evidence as to the rebuilding of this church on a different site in the 12th or 13th centuries. On the other hand there are no records of any other church existing on or near this site in early times.See Leaden Portch.Named after the Leadenhall (q.v.).A very fine tessellated Roman pavement was found in this street opposite the eastern end of the portico of the East India House, 9 ft. 6 in. below the street level, and another 19 ft. below (R. Smith, 57).Walls found under Leadenhall Market extending nearly from Gracechurch Street to Whittington Avenue at a depth of 18 ft. (Arch. LX. 224).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.