- Little Cheapside
- South from Vintners' Hall to Three Cranes (O. and M. 1677-London Guide, 1758). In Vintry Ward.It occupies part at least of the site of what was formerly : "Spiteles lane," 17 Ed. III. (Lib. Cust. II. p. 450). "Spitellane," 1347 (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 113). "Stodyes lane," 1394 (Grant in L. and M. Arch. Soc. Trans. III. 442). "Stodyes lane," 1441 (Ct. H.W. II. 492). "Stodies lane" (S. 242). This lane extended from Upper Thames Street to the Thames.Seems also to have been called "Hardeles lane" (q.v.), 1464 (Ct. H.W. II. 551).It is evident that the name of the lane varied from time to time according to its ownership, as Stow tells us that it was called Stodies lane after the owner Sir John Stodie, Sheriff 1352 and Mayor 1357.Stow goes on to say that Sir John gave the lane on the site of which, with the tenements adjoining, Vinmers' Hall (q.v.) afterwards stood, to the Vintners' Company (S. 242). But he gives no authority for the statement, and there is no bequest of this nature in Sir John's will, dated 1375 (Ct. H.W. II. p.191).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.