London Coffee House
   On the north side of Ludgate Hill at No. 42, west of St. Martin, Ludgate, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).
   First mention: Horwood, 1799.
   In 1806 some Roman remains were discovered at the back of the Coffee House, including an hexagonal altar or pedestal erected to Claudina Martina by her husband (Treloar, Ludgate Hill, p. 128).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Coffee House Alley —    South out of Upper Thames Street, at No. 56 (Rocque, 1746 L.C.C. List, 1912).    In Queenhithe Ward, north of Queenhithe Dock, opposite Huggin Lane.    Coffee rooms still there at No. 57 …   Dictionary of London

  • Coffee House Court —    In Moorfields (Strype, ed. 1755 Boyle, 1799).    Not named in the maps …   Dictionary of London

  • Jamaica Coffee House —    In St. Michael s Alley on the east side, next the Church Tower, 1863.    Built over the south cloister and part of the churchyard and on the site of the old Quest House, erected 1674 after the Fire (Overall, p. 289, and End. Ch. St. Michael s… …   Dictionary of London

  • Grecian Coffee House — The Grecian Coffee House was first established in about 1665 at Wapping Old Stairs in London, England, by a Greek former mariner called George Constantine. The enterprise proved a success and by 1677 Constantine had been able to move his premises …   Wikipedia

  • Jerusalem Coffee-House —    In Cowper s Court, Cornhill. For merchants trading to the East Indies, China and Australia. Taken down 1879 and rebuilt …   Dictionary of London

  • Smither's Coffee House —    A Court so called north out of Thames Street with a passage east to Water Lane. In Tower Ward (Strype, 1720 and 1755).    Site occupied by the Old Trinity House and Custom House Chambers in O.S …   Dictionary of London

  • Baptist Head Coffee House —    In Fountain Court, Aldermanbury (Lockie, 1810).    The former site of this house, at the corner of Aldermanbury, facing Milk Street, was laid into the street 1760 (Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. 228) …   Dictionary of London

  • Tom King's Coffee House — Detail from Four Times of the Day. A fight has broken out in the coffee house. Tom King s Coffee House (later known as Moll King s Coffee House) was a notorious establishment in Covent Garden, London in the mid 18th century. Open from the time… …   Wikipedia

  • Carpenter's Coffee House — (later known as The Finish , The Queen s Head and Jack s ) was a coffee house in Covent Garden, London, established by George Carpenter some time around 1762.George Carpenter had been a strongman and then worked as a porter in Covent Garden. By… …   Wikipedia

  • Jonathan's Coffee-House — in Change Alley (Exchange Alley) is famous as the original site of the London Stock Exchange. The Coffee House was founded by Jonathan Miles, in Exchange Alley, around 1680.In 1696, several patrons were implicated in a plot to assassinate William …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”