- Ludgate Gaol
- At the south-east corner of Giltspur Street, partly in Farringdon Ward Within, partly in Farringdon Ward Without.The prison originally formed part of the Gate, and was first made use of for the purposes of a prison temp. Rich. II. Afterwards the prisoners were removed to Newgate, but in 1419 the prison was restored to Ludgate (Riley, 676).Enlarged 1454 and a chapel built. Water conveyed to the prisoners there 1432 (S. 17 and 37).Burnt in the Fire, but restored and repaired. Taken down with the Gate 1760-1 and the prisoners removed to London Workhouse, Bishopsgate Street.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.