Ballardes Lane
   West out of Chancery Lane.
   A messuage in Chancery Lane is described as lying between the messuage in the tenure of the Six Clerks north and Ballard's Lane south and abutting on the highway called Chancellor Lane east and the field called Thicketfield west, 1530 (L. and P. H. VIII. V. p. 22).
   The description would seem to indicate that this was the early name of Carey Street (q.v.).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Carey Street —    West out of Chancery Lane, at No. 95, to Portugal Street. In the borough of Holborn, and the City of Westminster outside the City boundary (P.O. Directory). At the back of the Royal Courts of Justice.    First mention: Hatton, 1708.    It is… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”