- Bank Buildings
- 1) On the west side of the Royal Exchange, at the junction of Cornhill, Poultry and Threadneedle Street, between Mansion House Street and Bank Street, opposite the Bank south. In Broad Street and Cornhill Wards (Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831).The site has been cleared and is now occupied by a drinking fountain and the Duke of Wellington's statue.In the 18th century a number of small alleys occupied the site, as shown in Rocque's map, 1746, and in 1799 the new buildings that had been erected were in the occupation of the Sun Fire Office.2) At the junction of Princes Street and Lothbury (P.O. Directory).First mention: L.C.C. list, 1912.Pavement of red tesserae found here in 1895 at a depth of 17 feet.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.