- Bank of England
- On the south side of Threadneedle Street, extending north to Lothbury, and from Princes Street west to Bartholomew Lane east (P.O. Directory).In Broad Street and Coleman Street Wards, occupying an area of nearly four acres.Founded 1694 by Wm. Paterson and held in Grocer's Hall until 1734, when it was removed to a building erected for the purpose, occupying a portion of the present site. The east and west wings were added 1786 by Sir Robert Taylor. Rebuilt in its present form 1827.Consists of various courts, etc., such as Front Court Yard, Garden Court, Bullion Court, Lothbury Court, Residence Court, Waiting Court, Well Yard.Garden Court occupies the site of the church of St. Christopher Le Stocks.In Strype's map 1720 part of the site is occupied by Sir John Houblan's House, who was the first Governor of the Bank.Among the courts and buildings demolished for the erection of the Bank are the following : Church of St. Christopher Le Stocks, house and garden of Sir John Houblan, Catherine Court, Christopher's Alley, Crown Tavern-Faulcon Court, Bishops Court, Naggs Head Court, Ship Tavern, Three Nunnes Alley, Drapers Court, Princes Court.Roman pavement found under the south-west angle of the Bank, about 20 ft. to the west of the gate opening into Lothbury, at a depth of 12 feet. Other pavements found between Princes Street, Lothbury, and Bartholomew Lane (Arch. XXVII. 141, XXXIX. 496, XXXVI. 206, and LX. 237).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.