- New Inn
- 1) A messuage called "le Newin" in Chauncellerelane, 42 Ed. III. (Hust. Roll 96, No.218).Granted to Ric. Chaddesle, 49 Ed. III. (ib. 103, No.44).2) On the west side of the Old Bailey, adjoining Fleet Prison (Horwood, 1799-Lockie, 1816).Stow describes New Inn in his day as in St. George's Lane, on the north side, where was an olde wall of stone inclosing a piece of ground up Seacole lane, wherein by report sometimes stood an Inne of Chancery. Greatly decayed. Removed to a common hostery called of the signe "our Lady Inne," not far from Clements Inn, which was procured from Sir John Fincox. Lord Chiefe Justice of the King's bench and called by the name of "the new Inne" (S. 391).This would be " New Inn," Wych Street.3) In parish of St. Benedict in Tamystrete, in ward of Castle Baynard.First mention: "le Newe Inne," 1 H. VI. (Cal. P.R. H. VI. 1422-9, p.86).Came into the king's hands by forfeiture of John Montagu, earl of Salisbury, 16 H. VI. 1437 (ib. 1436-41, p.120).Otherwise called" Beaumont Inne" (q.v.), 4 Ed. IV. 1464 (ib. Ed. IV. 1461-7, p.354).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.