Northumberland Alley
   South out of Fenchurch Street, at No. 78, to Crutched Friars (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.
   First mention: 1649 (Ct. H.W. II. 767).
   Stow mentions it as a lane going by Northumberland House to the Crossed Friars (S. 141), but does not name it.
   Strype, Ed. 1720, says, "Northumberland House, now converted into Buildings and called Northumberland Alley" (I. ii. 82).
   By the Improvement Act of 1760 it was directed that a passage 25 feet wide should be made through the alley into Crutched Friars.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Coach Yard, Northumberland Alley —    See Carlisle Avenue …   Dictionary of London

  • Little Northumberland Alley —    Out of Crutched Friars (Strype, ed. 1755 Dodsley, 1761).    Not named in the maps, and not now in existence …   Dictionary of London

  • Northumberland House, Aldgate —    On the east side of Northumberland Alley, in the parish of St. Katherine Colman (S. 141 and 151). In Aldgate Ward.    It belonged to Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, 33 H. VI. (S. 151).    Northumberland Place mentioned 28 Eliz. (1586)… …   Dictionary of London

  • Northumberland Back Alley —    West out of Northumberland Alley. In Aldgate Ward (O.S. 1880) …   Dictionary of London

  • Northumberland Mews —    East out of Northumberland Alley. In Aldgate Ward (O.S. 1875).    See Carlisle Avenue …   Dictionary of London

  • Carlisle Avenue —    East out of Northumberland Alley to Jewry Street (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.    First mention: L.C.C. List of Streets, 1912.    Former names : Carlisle Buildings (O.S. 1894 6) (L.C.C. List, 1901). Northumberland Mews (O.S. 1875 and O.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Coach and Horses' Yard —    1) West out of Northumberland Alley, Fenchurch Street (Lockie, 1816 Elmes, 1831).    Not named in the maps.    Site covered by offices and business houses.    2) South out of Fan s Alley, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746 Boyle, 1799).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Crutched Friars —    South from Jewry Street and George Street and west to Hart Street and Seething Lane. In AIdgate Ward (P.O. Directory).    Earliest mention found in reoords : Street called le Crouchedfrerestrete in parish of St. Olave near the Tower, 1405 (Ct …   Dictionary of London

  • Monte Jovis Inn —    On the south side of Fenchurch Street, opposite the Pump and next to Northumberland Alley west (S. 151).    The site of the inn is shown on the O.S. 1875.    First mention: Land of brethren of Mountjoy (Monte Jovis), c. 1268 (Anc. Deeds, A.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Rangoon Street —    North west out of Crutched Friars, and south west to Northumberland Alley (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.    Erected 1895.    Site formerly occupied by the East and West India Dock Company s warehouses …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”